If you Google “how to clean a concrete patio”, all of the advice will be to use a pressure washer. However, can you clean a concrete patio without a pressure washer?
Of course you can! With a little bit of elbow grease and having the right tools, you can keep your concrete patio clean without using a pressure washer.
When to Clean Your Concrete Patio
Concrete is a low maintenance material, but it still needs to be cleaned regularly. Plan on deep cleaning your concrete patio twice per year to get rid of dirt and grime.
If you notice spills or stains in between cleanings, you will want to make sure to get rid of those quickly. Stains are harder to remove the longer you leave them.
Why Not Use a Pressure Washer
Simply put, a pressure washer is a powerful machine. You may not feel comfortable using it if you do not know how to do so safely.
While concrete is a strong material, other materials near your patio, such as wood, may not be so durable. Using a pressure washer may inadvertantly damage the areas around your concrete patio.
What You Will Need
You do not need any special equipment to clean your concrete patio without a pressure washer. All you need are:
- Push Broom
- Cleaning Solution (we will discuss a few options below)
- Something to hold your cleaning solution (i.e. spray bottle, bucket, etc.)
- Scrub Brush
How to Clean your Concrete Patio
- First, remove everything off your patio, including furniture, decorative items and welcome mats. This includes any weeds that have grown through cracks in the concrete.
- Using your push broom, sweep off all loose dirt and debris off of your concrete patio.
- Apply your cleaning solution. You have a few choices here:
- Mix equal parts vinegar and water into a spray bottle. Spray onto your concrete patio and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix two parts baking soda with one part bleach and apply to your patio. This is great for getting rid of tough stains.
- Use a commercial solution, like Scotts® Outdoor Cleaner Plus OxiClean™ Concentrate and apply as directed.
- Using a scrub brush, work in small areas to scrub the entire concrete patio. This will take a little bit of elbow grease and hard work, but it pays off!
- Using a hose, rinse away your cleaning solution and any remaining dirt.
- Once the patio is dry, return your furniture and other decorative pieces to your concrete patio
A few notes:
- Some cleaning solutions may be harmful for nearby plants and gardens. If that is the case, sweep the water down your patio stairs and onto other hard surfaces, instead of letting the water run into your garden.
- Also, make sure you choose the right brush. If you scrub with a metal brush, pieces of it may fall off, rust and stain your concrete patio.
Of course, the easiest way to clean a concrete patio is for someone else to do it! If you find yourself without the time, consider using a cleaning service!
As you can see, it is possible to have a clean concrete patio without using a pressure washer. Using equipment and materials you already have at home, you can make sure your concrete patio is clean, safe and ready for you to enjoy all summer long!