Are you tired of the same old 9-to-5 routine and want to take control of your destiny?
Running a cleaning business might be just what you need.
Here are three reasons why this is one of the most popular businesses in Canada today:
1) You can start your own cleaning business from home.
2) It’s an industry where there’s always demand, no matter how tough the economy gets.
3) There’s little competition so it won’t be difficult to dominate your area if that’s what you want to do.
Though there are many benefits to starting your own cleaning business, it’s important to understand that this is a business like any other and will therefore require hard work.
If you’re serious about running your own cleaning business then read on to find out how it all works.
You will need to obtain a license to run your own cleaning business in Ontario. The license is provided by the government and will allow you to offer other services like window cleaning, furniture, etc. You can find all the information about the licensing requirements on the City of Toronto’s website.
The second step:
Now that you have a license, it’s time to start thinking about how you will advertise your business. Because this is a service industry, you can choose to use all sorts of different advertising techniques like billboards or flyers. You may also want to try the following:
1) Offer additional services to increase your market share. For example, if you’re already cleaning houses then offer lawn maintenance as well.
2) Contact moving companies and janitorial services in your area to see if they would be interested in buying the work you’re doing.
3) If you live near a college or university, try contacting them about opportunities to advertise your services on their bulletin boards.
4) Visit restaurants, bars and cafes around town as many of them will need cleaning services at night when they close.
The third step:
Once you’ve got your license and have started advertising then it’s time to find clients. The key to success is finding a niche and becoming the best at it. So if you want to specialize in cleaning high-rise office buildings then here’s what you do:
1) Contact all the real estate agents and landlords around town and find out which companies are moving out of their current offices because they need larger space.
2) Keep doing this until you have a list of 20 or so companies.
3) Now write down the name of each company and their telephone number in your notebook.
4) Make about five phone calls each day to these companies asking if they need cleaning services, what size office buildings they are moving into and when they want to begin moving into that building.
5) Continue following up with the companies every couple of weeks for three months and you’re bound to land a few clients. Remember that this is a very competitive industry so it’s important to be persistent in your pursuit of customers if you want to succeed.
Once you have a steady stream of customers then it’s time to find employees and start getting organized.
To find employees, you can advertise in local newspapers or post a notice in your community center or grocery store. You will need to take care of the following:
– Answering phone calls
– Booking appointments with clients
– Answering questions from customers
– Organizing your work
To keep organized, you should invest in a good bookkeeping system. You can find one on the internet or in a bookstore. The key here is to start using it right away so you can get in the habit of recording all transactions and following up on outstanding bills. Most importantly, make sure you charge your customers for all cleaning services they receive.
An important final note: Remember that running a cleaning business is hard work and if you want to make it in this industry, then you need to work hard. However, if you’re committed and love what you do then starting your own business may well be worth it.
A cleaning business is a popular and profitable industry in Ontario. However, like any other business, it takes hard work and dedication to be successful. If you’re interested in starting your own cleaning company then there are important steps to take before doing so.