Drop ceiling tiles are a common feature of many workplaces and homes. However, it isn’t the simplest to clean drop ceiling tiles.
If you don’t know what you’re doing, you might end up just knocking tiles around with dust falling everywhere.
When you clean drop ceilings, you have to use some specific methods.
To get the job done right, you’ve got to use the right methods and tools.
The Right Equipment to Clean Drop Ceiling Tiles
These are the main things you’re going to need to effectively clean drop ceiling tiles.
- Safety Equipment – You’re going to need some safety glasses and a dust mask.
- Vacuum with Soft Brush – This is going to make removing dust a lot easier, but there are alternatives you can use.
- A High-Quality Duster – This can be an effective alternative to a vacuum. However, you need to ensure it is of high enough quality that it won’t get snagged on your ceiling tiles.
- Ladder – Likely going to be needed to get up to your ceiling tiles in the first place.
- Lint-free Cloth – For actually wiping the tiles.
- Cleaning Solution – This can just be detergent, you don’t need any harsh chemicals to clean drop ceiling tiles.
- Dust Sheet – This will help contain any dropped dust.
- Bucket and Sponge
How to Clean Drop Ceiling Tiles
If you have all of the equipment that you need, then you should be ready to clean your drop ceiling tiles. This is the best method:
- Lay Down Dust Clothes – This is a similar principle to cleaning up after construction, you want to control any mess that might fall down to save you having to clean floors right after cleaning your ceiling tiles.
- Put on Safety Gear
- Vacuum or Dust the Ceiling – This will remove any loose dust or dirt that is likely to fall off of the ceiling tiles. Use the soft brush of a vacuum or a high-quality duster.
- Wipe Tiles with Lint-Free Cloth – Dampen your cloth, then use it to wipe the ceiling tiles gently. This should remove any lighter bits of dirt or dust.
- Make a Cleaning Solution – This should be made by combining any soft cleaning solution like liquid detergent with warm water. Move this into a bucket for easy access.
- Clean the Tiles with the Solution – Clean drop ceiling tiles using this solution by wetting a cloth or sponge with it. Then use then to wipe down each tile.
- Rinse the Cloth – Rinse your cloth or sponge after each tile and reapply cleaning solution.
- Rinse the Tiles – Rinse each tile after cleaning by using a clean and damp cloth. This should get rid of any lingering cleaning solution.
Cleaning Tiles Regularly
This process needs to be repeated every few months or whenever the ceiling tiles begin to look dirty. This will keep your tiles in good condition.
The more often you clean drop ceiling tiles, the less dust is going to be there with each clean.
If you’re finding an unmanageable amount of dirt and dust on your drop sheets, then you need to clean more often.
This type of specialized cleaning can take you quite a while, with a lot of trips up and down a ladder. This is why so many people opt to use a cleaning service.
Professional cleaning services handle tasks like cleaning ceiling tiles much quicker than most.
If you’re finding keeping your ceiling tiles in good condition to be a real chore, it is worth considering this option.